Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Butternut Squash and Mushroom Pasta

Hi friends and family! As some of you know, I am not good at sitting still. Therefore, as I was home sick today, I decided to make up a new recipe for fun. I took a recipe I had been wanting to try, and changed pretty much everything but the mushrooms and cream sauce.

The ingredients I used were:

1 box penne pasta (minus about a cup and a half cooked noodles, depending on how wet you like your pasta)
1 small to medium butternut squash
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 package sliced mushrooms
3/4 of a medium sweet onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup milk (the original recipe called for heavy whipping cream)

What I did:

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, saute the onion, butternut squash cubes, mushrooms and garlic in the butter until tender.
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, seasonings, and milk until smooth then add to the vegetable skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta and add to vegetable mix. Cook 2-3 minutes until heated through.

Nothing too exciting or difficult, but very yummy and perfect for 3-4 people. Enjoy :)

xoxo,
Emily

1 comment: