Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Buttermilk Pie, Oh My!


As those of you who have looked at several of my posts might have noticed, I am a big fan of the blogger Amy and her recipes listed on her Sing For Your Supper blog. She is just so sweet and genuine! Last night, I decided to try her recently added recipe for Buttermilk Pie. She stated in her description that it was a Southern tradition, sure to please any man! So, I gave it a try, and sure enough, both Tyler and I love us some Buttermilk Pie. I did not take any pictures of it, and honestly, it's not the prettiest pie around since it doesn't have many colored ingredients, but trust me...you've got to try it. (Edit: I went ahead and posted a picture I found on Google Search that looks very similar to mine) The only thing I can even remotely compare it's flavor to is a Creme Brulee based on its very sweet nature and sugary/buttery crust. Give it a try, trust me. Thanks Amy!!

Baba’s Buttermilk Pie
-Sing For Your Supper Blog
*makes 2 9-inch pies

2 9-inch pie crusts, unbaked (I used Graham cracker)
3 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
**a little lemon zest and a squeeze of juice is a nice addition and also cuts down on some of the sweetness**

Mix sugar, flour and salt. Add eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into two unbaked pie crusts and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees (check them at 50 minutes- if they’re too jiggly put them back in for a few more minutes. They shouldn’t jiggle very much at all when they’re done). If the tops are getting too brown, cover loosely with foil for the remainder of baking time. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. If you like this pie, you should a try Chess Pie.. a very old southern recipe. I got it from my southern mother in law... very very yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! I will definitely look this up. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete