Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Spinach and Tomato Quiche



Well, hello. What a wet evening it's turning out to be, for both my Northern and Southern friends! As most of you know, I've been under the weather lately with Mono, so I have been neglecting my housekeeping and not cooking as elaborate of meals lately. BUT...my lazy, groggy state has also forced me to be more creative with what I have as not to have to go grocery shopping, so I've been creating some new recipes. This one is based off of a Broccoli Quiche recipe I found on Allrecipes.com, using the ingredients I happened to have. It is ah-mazing.

Be safe in this weather y'all!

xoxo,
Emily

Spinach and Tomato Quiche
-adapted from Broccoli Quiche recipe on Allrecipes.com

Ingredients
4 red potatoes, peeled or unpeeled (I kept the peels on)
2 cups fresh, heated spinach leaves
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, heat spinach. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3.Mash the potatoes with milk and salt. Brush a deep 9 inch pie dish with olive oil and press the potatoes in. Brush with remaining olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
4.Arrange onions, tomato, spinach and cheese in the potato crust. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over tomatoes, spinach, onions and cheese.
5.Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until slightly puffed and cooked throughout. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment