Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Beans, Chilis, and Stews...Oh my!

Hi friends! I hope you all are having a good week. I went a little crazy today, in an effort to avoid writing my grad school papers (sorry, Mom). My husband always teases me that I am MOST productive around the house when I am being LEAST productive in schoolwork. It's true. I would much rather be cooking or prepping than reading or writing.

Anyway, enough talk. This is already going to be a pretty lengthy post. I didn't take pictures today, because I feel like it's not so exciting seeing these meals in their freezer bags. I will update with pictures as I make a few. Here are my newest freezer to crockpot meals. You'll notice they are much warmer and heartier, thanks to Fall :) I ended up making about 11 VERY full bags today. Honestly, about enough food for a month and a half, lunches and dinners, and I spent...get ready...a whopping $80.00 on it all. Yeah, it's like that. Try this people, I'm serious! Without further ranting, here are the recipes of the month (and a half?). Enjoy!

**All of these recipes are adapted recipes from the Fix it and Forget it Crockpot cookbook.**

Barbeque Beans and Weenies

4 15 ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups bbq sauce of choice
2 15 ounce packages cut up hot dogs or lil smokies
Mix together, freeze, thaw, and cook on low for 4-5 hours.

Presidential Chili

1 pound lean ground meat (I used turkey)
5 to 6 medium tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper
1 15 ounce can kidney beans
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Mix all ingredients together, bag and freeze, thaw, and cook on low 7-9 hours.
**FYI, I do NOT pre-cook or brown poultry or lean meats. They do not have enough fat to worry about.**

White Bean and Apple Chili

3 tablespoons butter (added the morning of)
2 15 ounce cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
1 onion chopped
2 green apples diced
3 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar (added when ready to serve)
Mix ingredients, freeze, thaw, and cook on low 8 hours.

Minestrone

2 15 ounce cans beans of your choice (I used kidney), rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can tomatoes with juice
1 15 ounce can corn and juice
2 cups chopped frozen vegetables
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
salt
pepper
Mix ingredients, freeze, thaw, and cook on low 8-10 hours.

Harvest Stew

1 yellow onion chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet potato, chopped
3 red potatoes, chopped
1 acorn squash, chopped
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 10 ounce can tomatoes and chilies (Rotel)
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
salt
pepper
**I did not have cloves or allspice, and opted to use pumpkin pie spice instead**
Mix ingredients, freeze, thaw, and cook on low 7-9 hours.

Apple, Cheddar, and Turkey Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds extra lean turkey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 green apple shredded
1/2 cup sharp cheddar shredded
1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
Mix all ingredients, make golf ball size balls, freeze, thaw, and cook for 8 hours on low.

Brown Sugar Chicken

12-14 chicken thighs
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup Sprite or Sierra Mist
Mix all ingredients, freeze, thaw, and cook for 6-9 hours on low.

Sloppy Joes

1 pound lean ground meat (turkey)
1 1.5 ounce packet sloppy joe mix
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 cup warm water (added morning of)
Mix all ingredients, freeze, thaw, and cook on low 6-7 hours.

xoxo,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment