Hola! I have been trying to find easy, creative ways to incorporate more vegetables into my cooking. This recipe = lots of veggies, and an easy, one-dish bake. Enjoy!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Good Housekeeping Magazine
2 tbsp veg. oil
1 lb. chicken-breast tenders cut into 1/2 inch chunks
salt and pepper
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup water
2 lg zucchini, cut into small spears
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 cups salsa verde
1/2 c. reduced fat sour cream
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
12 corn tortillas (I could only find one small size for these in my store)
5 oz. queso anejo or cotija (aged Mexican cheeses) or feta cheese, crumbed 1 cup
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 3 quart shallow baking dish.
2) In 12 inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Season chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add to skillet in single layer and sear 2 minutes. Turn chicken over; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until just browned. Transfer to large bowl.
3) Add onion and water to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring and scraping pan. Add to chicken in bowl.
4) To skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook 4 minutes or until browned and just tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl with chicken. To skillet, add corn and cook 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to bowl with chicken. Stir in salsa, sour cream, and half of cilantro until well mixed.
5) In prepared dish, arrange 4 tortillas in single layer. Spread evenly with one-third of chicken mixture and then one-third of cheese. Repeat layering twice.
6) Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot. Garnish with remaining cilantro.